FOXNews.com

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Moving Soon

Q: Dear Mrs. Bottstein

I am in the process of moving to a new school district. I heard wonderful things about this district, and my children are still in elementary school, however, I am moving from a town of more than one middle school and high school, to a community with only one high school-7th through 12th grades in one school! Should I be worried?


Moving Soon


A: Dear Moving Soon,

I appreciate you taking the time to write. I particularly enjoyed this letter, because I myself went to a school consisting of grades 7 through 12. At the time, I never thought anything of it, and I don’t recall my parents having any concerns as well. It sounds as if your move is definite, and the school is not a factor in whether or not you will move. This being said, it might be helpful to you to speak to your new neighbors about the school, or any other parents you meet in the neighborhood. I’m sure they will give you their opinions, positive and negative, but you will get a sense of how the school is run. Perhaps you can talk to students that attend there as well. You can research statistics about the school from the internet (percent of students going to college, passing state exams, etc.). It may also be helpful for you to visit the school, even while your children are in elementary school. This may alleviate any fears or anxieties you may have and you can hopefully feel confident in the school system that your children will be attending. Make an appointment to sit with the principal and ask any questions you have regarding school policies, or concerns you may have after speaking to other parents and students. I am sure that the more informed you are, the more comfortable you will feel.



Thank you again for your e-mail,
~ Carol Bottstein

No comments: